Monday, July 2, 2007

RSS Feeds

The tutorials for this week's lesson are very good. I had set up Bloglines before, but I think that I really have the basics in my head now.

The tutorials also helped me realize why I haven't gotten into the habit of using my Bloglines links. They kept stressing how feeds could save you so much time because you wouldn't have to go to lots of different web page to see what new information had been posted there. But you see, I don't read blogs and web-based news anyway! So how can feeds save me time? At least now I understand why I haven't jumped on this bandwagon.

One way of using feeds that hasn't been mentioned is with library databases. For example, in the Electronic Journal Center, you can set up feeds for your favorite journals.

1 comment:

Nancy S. said...

Your comments about the RSS exercise pretty well sum up my own impressions. The tutorials were clear and gave me a much better grasp of the whole concept of bloglines and newsreaders.

They probably do save time for some people, but I don't see myself tracking that many sources of news. Following a few online journals may be a possible option. My thoughts are probably going to continue to adjust as I move through more of the 23 steps. So far it is a good stretching experience for me.